Programme Name: Master of Philosophy and Doctor of Philosophy (Chemistry)
(Full time and Part time) – by Research
The Department of Chemistry offers two research based programmes leading to the Masters and PhD degrees in Chemistry. These programmes served to those who are interested in research and require in-depth knowledge and experience in chemistry through individual and specialised research projects. The programmes allow the students to acquire advanced knowledge in their fields of interest. Students will work in outstanding facilities together with experienced academic supervisors.
PhD candidates are also required to present seminar related to their research findings as part of their training. They are also required to publish papers in indexed journals.
All research students are required to attend Compulsory Department Courses as follows during their 1st and 2nd semester (at least one of the course for PhD student)
For PhD programme, students are completing to present at national or international conference.
All PhD student are required to take any 2 courses (status :HS offered) by master MSCK Mixed Mode.
(refer to Msc : Chemistry by Taught Course & Reserch)
Areas of Research
The Department of Chemistry has more than 50 active researchers with the following research areas:
- Environmental Chemistry: Water quality, environmental monitoring, modelling.
- Analytical Techniques: Spectroscopy, Electroanalysis, Chromatography and Capillary Electrophoresis.
- Hybrid and mesoporous materials for microextractions
- Forensic Analysis: Forensic Chemistry, serology, toxicology and Entomology
- Natural products chemistry: phytochemicals, essential oil and bioactivities
- Organic Synthesis: Synthesis and reactions of macrocyclics, polymers and bioactive natural compounds.
- Synthesis, characterisation and mechanistic studies of metal complexes, metal oxides and nano materials
- Photophysical and photochemical studies of processes and surface properties.
- Fuel cells and batteries.
- Zeolites and mesostructured materials and application
- Extraction of metals using bacteria and bioremediation of metals
- Production of pigments from bacteria
- Chitosan chemistry and its application
- Chemometrics and computer aided chemistry